Design Phase (Summer 2021)
Nearly 30% of the design is completed. Right-of-Way (ROW) and easement acquisition is scheduled to begin in Fall 2021. Construction is likely to start in 2022.
About the Project
A span of West Broad Street, between Virginia Avenue and West Street, was identified in the West Broad Street Small Area Plan as an area in need of pedestrian accessibility improvements.
Elements of the project include:
- Sidewalk widening and removal of sidewalk obstacles;
- Redesign of intersection geometry;
- Increased bicycle accessibility through planned bicycle routes and bike-share facilities;
- Better public transit access by adjusting bus shelter and bus stop placement; and,
- A new mid-block crossing between Virginia and Pennsylvania Streets.
View the current site plans (PDF).
The five intersections along West Broad Street include Virginia Avenue, Lee Street, Oak Street, Spring Street, and West Street.
This project is funded in part through two federal grants: Smart Scale ($977,000) and Regional Surface Transportation Program ($1,279,000).
|Meeting Date||Meeting Type|
|March 17, 2021, 7:00 p.m. ||Planning Commission Public Information Session|
For more information, please contact Sue Long at 703-248-5350 (TTY 711).