NOTE: WMATA is always the best source for the latest information on this project. Please visit their website, www.wmata.com/service/rail/PlatformProject/.
Updates from WMATA: Platform Reconstruction Work Begins Saturday, May 23
Due to low ridership because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Metro announced an expanded Summer Platform Reconstruction Project plan. The project will now include connecting the Silver Line to Phase II stations. As a result:
- All stations west of Ballston on the Orange and Silver line will be closed beginning Saturday, May 23. This includes the East Falls Church and West Falls Church stations.
- All Orange line trains will begin/end service between Ballston and New Carrollton stations.
- There will be no Silver line service at all.
- Free shuttle bus service will be available in both directions at West Falls Church Metro Station.
- East Falls Church Metro Station will remain closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- WMATA now asks that all riders (on Rail and Bus) wear a mask or face covering while riding.
Visit www.wmata.com/platforms for the latest information about the project.
Updates from WMATA: Parking Alternatives (March 2020)
WMATA handed out these flyers to commuters in March. There are several parking alternatives since there will be no parking at East Falls Church and less parking at West Falls Church starting March 15. Scroll down for the text of these images; follow this link to WMATA’s website.
Parking Alternatives for East Falls Church Customers
- Instead of driving to the station, consider taking these local bus routes:
- Parking is also available at:
Parking Alternatives for West Falls Church Customers
- Instead of driving to the station, consider taking Metrobus routes 3T or 28A
- Parking is also available at:
Updates from WMATA: Parking Closures Start March 15 at West Falls Church and East Falls Church (February 2020)
Parking Impacts begin March 15 at Three Orange Line Stations in Advance of Summer Platform Reconstruction (link here). Scroll down for the text of this image.
East Falls Church
- The surface parking lot will be temporarily closed beginning March 15
- The Kiss & Ride lot will remain open for pick-up and drop-off only
West Falls Church
- Surface parking lots will be temporarily closed beginning March 15
- The parking garage will remain open
- Parking space will be severely limited and is expected to fill before 7 a.m.
- Parking Lot 1 will be temporarily closed beginning March 15
- The parking garages and Parking Lot 3 (south side) will remain open. The entrances to these lots can be accessed from Saintsburry Rd.
- No parking closed
- Customers who park at Dunn Loring station must use their SmarTrip card to pay for parking to avoid being charged the higher, non-rider fee.
Announcement from WMATA: Platform Improvement Project Starts this Summer (January 2020)
Platform Improvement Project: Summer 2020 Stations Announced
The second phase of Metro’s Platform Improvement Project will repair and reconstruct platforms at four outdoor stations on the Orange Line: Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and East Falls Church.
Three stations will be closed to customers from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day
- Dunn Loring
- East Falls Church
West Falls Church Station will remain open and serve as the western terminus of the Orange Line. Trains will continue to pass through East Falls Church Station while it is closed to minimize service impacts outside the construction area.
Specific travel alternatives and rail service details will be published in early March.