Status - Design
The project is currently in the design stage. 60% design plans have been submitted to VDOT and City. Consultant is working on 90% design plans and ROW plans which are scheduled to be completed by Fall of 2023. Download a PowerPoint Presentation to see highlights and renderings (PDF, 23 pages), or download an information sheet here (PDF, 2 pages).
The following is subject to change.
- Winter 2018 to Fall 2023: Design
- Fall 2023 to Spring 2026: Right-Of-Way Acquisition
- Spring 2026: Advertising
- Summer 2026 to Summer 2028: Construction
About the Project
This project will transform Park Avenue from N. Virginia Avenue to N. Washington Street into a “Great Street,” which are lively, attractive roadways that accommodate all modes of transportation while promoting social interaction, civic activity, and/or commerce.
There are many components to this project, including:
- Undergrounding utility poles
- More trees
- Make this section a Bike Boulevard.
- Slowing the speed limit to 20 miles per hour
- Raised intersections with bulb outs to shorten crosswalks
- Realigning the Maple Avenue intersection
- Gateway features at each end of the project
- Improved entrance to Cherry Hill Park
- Improving the intersections of Little Falls Street and Maple Avenue, with Park Avenue and with the north side intersections with Broad Street.
The City is using VDOT Revenue Sharing and local funds for this project (non-federal). Current project budget available for PE phase which will cover Survey, Environmental, and Design-related services is $1,670,000. The entire VDOT grant is $ 6,630,000 which must cover all PE, ROW, Construction, CEI and CFC staff time. The entire project budget is $11,510,000.