The City of Falls Church is currently authorized to discharge stormwater under a Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) general permit regulated by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). Without this permit the City would be in violation of State and Federal laws created by the Clean Water Act.
The MS4 Permit is a planning document in which the city must outline activities that will reduce stormwater runoff pollution to the maximum extent practicable. These activities are commonly referred to as Best Management Practices (BMPs).
Minimum Control Measures
The state requires localities to focus on 6 minimum control measures, which are:
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Pollution Prevention / Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
- Postconstruction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment
- Public Education and Outreach on Stormwater Impacts
- Public Involvement / Participation
Report a Spill or Illicit Discharge