Tenant, Landlord & Property Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants

Are you a renter having issues with your landlord, or need help paying rent and utilities? Find a list of common questions and answers here, or email tenants@fallschurchva.gov.

About Landlord and Property Assistance

Housing and Human Services (HHS) provides a number of resources for landlords and tenants.

Website Resources

Landlord & Tenant Counseling

HHS assists landlords and tenants in resolving disputes by providing information to both parties on their rights and responsibilities under local and state law, security deposits, standard lease requirements, and eviction prevention.

HHS does not provide legal services; for legal counseling contact Lawyer Referral Services at 703-228-3390 or Legal Services of Northern Virginia at 703-778-6800.

Public Health & Safety Enforcement

The City of Falls Church contracts with the Fairfax County Health Department to monitor rodents and cockroach infestation, lack of adequate heat in unit, pool maintenance, and other related issues. Contact the Fairfax County Health Department at 703-246-2411 with health concerns.

Property Maintenance

Questions or concerns regarding building structure, disrepair, electrical work, plumbing, and other related issues should be directed to the City Building Official at 703-248-5087 (TTY 711). 

Questions or concerns regarding overcrowding or use of the property should be directed to the Zoning Division at 703-248-5015 (TTY 711).