The Department of Finance consists of financial services, purchasing and open bids, and real estate assessments.
The Financial Services Division
manages accounting, budgeting, internal audit, purchasing, accounts payable, and payroll. It is also responsible for organizing internal financial audits, preparing the annual budget and Capital Improvements Program (CIP)
, and producing the Annual Financial Report
(AFR), which is audited by independent external auditors.
Purchasing & Open Bids
The Purchasing Division
procures goods, services, and construction in accordance with applicable codes and policies. The division:
- Administers maintenance and service agreements
- Approves contracts and purchase orders
- Assists divisions with preparing specifications, monitoring vendor performance
- Develops manuals, checklists, and procedural documents for purchasing
- Manages the solicitation processes
- Provides purchasing training to staff
It also supplies services to the School Division for complex projects. The division aggressively pursues the use of national, state, and local contracts to acquire goods and services at the best available prices.
Real Estate Assessment
The Real Estate Assessment Office
determines the value of all property located within the City of Falls Church at full and fair market value as of January 1 of each year. This is done in accordance with Virginia Code to distribute taxes equitably among all taxpayers, at a real estate tax rate set by City Council
each year to help fund the annual budget