Reports of “porch pirates,” or thieves who steal packages right off your front doorstep, are all too common not only during the holidays, but all throughout the year -- including after Amazon's Prime Day sale. Here are six tips to help you protect these deliveries and your valuables:
- Consider installing a doorbell camera to be notified whenever someone comes to your door.
- Track your shipments and try to be home when they are scheduled to arrive. If you won’t be home, ask a trusted neighbor or friend to take the package inside until you get home.
- Request that the delivery service leave the package in a less-obvious location, like a side or back door, that can’t be seen from the sidewalk.
- Ask your employer if you can have the shipment delivered to your workplace.
- Remove valuables from your car every night, and be sure to lock your doors -- that means on your car, your shed, your garage, and your house! Don't make it easy for thieves to steal from you.
- As always, report suspicious activity in your neighborhood to City of Falls Church Police by calling 911 or the non-emergency number at 703-241-5053. One call could help your neighbors from being victimized.