The schedule below is subject to change. For more information, call 703-248-5081 (TTY 711).
- Week of October 25 — South of Broad St.
- Week of November 1 — North of Broad St.
- Week of November 8 — South of Broad St.
- Week of November 15 — South of Broad St.
- Week of November 22 — North of Broad St.
- Week of November 29 — North of Broad St.
- Week of December 6 — South of Broad St.
- Week of December 13 — South of Broad St.
- Week of December 20 — North of Broad St.
- Week of December 27 — North of Broad St.
- Week of January 3 — City-Wide
How to Prepare Leaves for Collection
Residents should prepare their leaves according to the steps below. Improper preparation can cause damage to the machines or result in poor quality leaf mulch.
- Rake leaves to the curb and don't place in the street.
- Pile leaves away from storm drains and water meter covers.
- Only leaves -- no stones, litter, branches or other debris (they can damage the machines) and no yard waste (it can ruin the composting process that turns the leaves into free mulch).
- Don't park your car on a leaf pile. It's a fire hazard!
Why Does the City Collect Leaves?
Vacuum leaf collection removes loose leaves that have fallen from deciduous trees in the fall. Removing leaves means less debris and fewer clogs in the stormwater system (which can help reduce flooding). The leaves are composted by the City into leaf mulch which is provided to City residents for free in the spring.
How Does the City Collect Leaves?
Vacuum leaf collection is a difficult job - the volume of leaves is ever changing, precipitation and freezing temperatures complicate collection, the collection itself can be dangerous for staff and other variables like daily traffic patterns affect the logistics.
The City of Falls Church's vacuum leaf collection program is among the region's best. Compared to one or two passes, the schedule above offers residents at least three passes. Crews often double back and make additional passes.
The map below provides a time-lapse view of typical collection patterns (how collection occurs within an area). As noted above, if the variables change, so does the routing. Progress is mapped daily to eliminate missed collections. Please be patient with our team as we strive for the highest level of service delivery possible.