News Flash

City of Falls Church Updates

Posted on: January 3, 2017

Volunteers Needed for Boards and Commissions

Volunteer for Boards and Commissions

Volunteers who live in the City of Falls Church are needed to serve on the boards and commissions listed below. Contact the City Clerk’s Office at 703-248-5014 (TTY 711) or, or visit for an application and more information.

Requests for reappointment must be made through the City Clerk. Applications are accepted until the end of the month. Vacancies advertised for more than one month may be filled during each subsequent month before month’s end. The descriptions of each entity below are short summaries. For a more comprehensive listing of duties and responsibilities, please visit

  • Board of Equalization
    Hears and considers taxpayers' petitions regarding real estate assessments; Board has the power to order an increase or decrease, or to affirm the assessment in question.
  • Citizens’ Advisory Committee on Transportation
    Considers traffic calming cases, provides recommendations to the City Manager on traffic calming, reviews Traffic Impact Studies for development proposals, and more.
  • Environmental Sustainability Council
    Advises on a wide range of environmental and sustainability issues important to the quality of life in our community, including community cleanups, energy efficiency and climate change, solid waste and stormwater management, and more.
  • Historic Architectural Review Board
    Reviews applications for permits to demolish or move protected structures in the historic district.
  • Historical Commission
    Advises on historical matters; develops criteria for the identification of historic buildings and sites; makes recommendations on recognizing and preserving such structures and sites.
  • Housing Commission
    Maintains awareness of housing needs and opportunities; proposes housing policy initiatives and changes; investigates and conciliates fair housing complaints; mediates conflicts relating to the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act; offers services in conflicts relating to other housing laws; and more.
  • Human Services Advisory Council
    Reviews existing human services policies and resources to point out deficiencies in services, service overlaps, and/or potential program improvements for City Council consideration.
  • Tree Commission
    Advises the City's Arborist, Council and Manager on tree conservation, removal and replacement, both on public and private property. Also makes recommendations on current and proposed regulations and policies that promote the City’s overall goal of preserving the tree canopy.
  • Fairfax Area Disability Services Board
    Works to include people with physical and sensory disabilities into mainstream community life through education and awareness advising elected bodies, monitoring compliance, advocating for rights, and more.
  • Health Systems Agency of Northern Virginia
    Plans for efficient/effective use of hospitals, nursing homes and other costly health resources and educates the community about health care issues.
  • Long Term Care Coordinating Council
    Supports inclusive communities of healthy individuals, stable families and connected residents through raising awareness of long term care needs; advocating for solutions in the community; developing community collaboration.

Board and Commission Information
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City of Falls Church Updates