What is NVTA?
The Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) is a regional organization supported by your tax dollars. The Authority is responsible for long range transportation planning, prioritization, and funding for regional transportation projects in Northern Virginia. Every year, localities submit transportation project proposals to be funded by NVTA grants. Hearing from residents, businesses, and civic organizations can help the NVTA understand how impactful a project will be to a community.
What’s in the West Falls Church Transportation Project grant application?
The application is for $15.7 million for Installation and synchronization of four traffic signals (including a HAWK pedestrian signal on Haycock Road); adding crosswalks; widening existing sidewalks; relocating and undergrounding utilities; and installing lighting and trees along Haycock Road and Route 7 (see map below).
Why support the West Falls Church Transportation Project?
- Support Economic Growth: Support the City’s High School Project and the West Falls Church Economic Development Project.
- Expand the Multimodal Transportation Network: Provide better pedestrian and bicycle connections to the West Falls Church Metrorail Station.
- Relieve Congestion: Relieve congestion on area highways by increasing travel options and developing a more complete street grid.
How can I get involved?
There are three ways to get involved:
- Attend the NVTA meeting on May 10 at 7 p.m. (3040 Williams Dr., Suite 200, Fairfax) and voice your support during the public comment portion of the agenda.
- Email your support to SYPcomment@TheNoVaAuthority.org by midnight on Sunday, May 20.
- Let your friends and family know about this project, and encourage them to attend the May 10 meeting or send an email.
What should I say?
Certainly put into your own words how these improvements would help you, your family, and the community as a whole. Here's language to help you get started:
"I support the West Falls Church grant application. It will reduce congestion by implementing infrastructure for multi modes of transportation. This project will improve regional transportation connections due to its location adjacent the West Falls Church Metro Station, the Route 7 corridor, the W&OD Trail, and I-66. Also, this will help with economic growth, safety, and the development of a new high school at the site."
Where can I find more information?
For more information, please see the project information materials at: www.fallschurchva.gov/NVTAcomments.